Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Number Nineteen: A Rescued Photo

Like yesterday's picture this photo was altered using Corel's Paint It! Now app on the Oil setting. I've mentioned before that I don't like using these kinds of filters on photos I take. I like my photos to be strong enough on their own to not need anything beyond a crop or a bit of messing with light and colour. When I alter a photo like this it feels like cheating since I didn't put any effort into the painterly quality of the final result. It's different when I use it on something I drew since I'm altering something I actually created using a drawing program and most often drew it with the use of the filter in mind. Perhaps the distinction is ridiculous but it's how I see it!

Sometimes, though, I just don't get the photograph I want even if the pose is right. That's what happened with this photo taken at Thanksgiving. Essie looked sweet looking out the window like this but the quality of the photo was poor; kind of grainy and blurry. I loved the light in her hair, though, and so I ran it through the oil painting filter and was pleased with the result. It forgave all the sins of poor lighting and focus and gave me something I can enjoy so I should accept that faux effects definitely have their uses. Make sure to click the picture to see it at full size!

No comments:

Post a Comment