Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Number One-Hundred-And-Forty-Four: A February Rose

On Tuesdays and Thursdays Essie's day care provider picks her up on the way to playgroup. This is nice for any number of reasons but one extra perk is that it gets me and Essie outside playing for a while while we wait (if the weather is nice.) And that gets me taking more outdoor pictures during the cold weather. I am a cold weather wimp and would rather not freeze my butt off for the most part but it's always more fun when you're with a toddler who thinks it's a wonderland, I guess.

Anyhow, I took some pictures of the rose bushes and got this withered, curled-up rose still tenaciously attached to its stem. I fell in love with it when I saw the shot I'd taken and opened up Snapseed to make it great. I cropped it, then used a bright Drama filter on it. After that I played around with the Grunge filter until I got the look I was going for, widening the center focus a bit so as not to overwhelm the flower. My favourite detail is the curling bit at the bottom, still so graceful and beautiful despite everything.

P.S. If you visited the site early in the day you may notice that the above is a different version of the rose. I accidentally uploaded an alternate edit of the picture although I used the same edit process for both. The difference is in the cropping and the levels of the grunge filter. Here's the one I accidentally uploaded in the first place:

It's nice but I felt like the cropping and the heavier Grunge filter didn't quite do it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment