Saturday, March 3, 2012

Number One-Hundred-And-Fifty-Five: Three Years

Today's entry is posted much later than usual but it was on purpose this time. Today is Essie's third birthday and I wanted to post a special moment from the day, so had to wait until most of it was over as a result. I did manage to capture that special moment, though I took a lot of pictures in the attempt. Thankfully it was one of the best moments; Essie blowing out her candles.

Three years ago I didn't know how close I was to losing her. I didn't know until we got to the hospital, me twenty-eight weeks pregnant, that my persistent headache was really a raging case of pre-eclampsia. Then as soon as she was out all of my focus was on her, not the fact that I'd been just a few hours from seizures and death if we hadn't sought help. Later when things calmed down and I'd healed up a bit from the pre-E and surgery I just didn't have a lot of energy to spend on mulling it over what with the months of NICU visits. It was a crazy time and doesn't seem quite real, even now.

So, seeing her blow out those candles (and she did it without any help) means a lot to me. She's healthier and happier than anyone thought she could be back when she weighed just a kilogram. I'm not the best mother in the world but I'm one of the luckiest.

(I took the picture and did all the processing with Camera+.)

No comments:

Post a Comment